I am not a huge fan of Mac & Cheese ( I know. How unforgivably un-American of me). But the rest of my family definitely are.
The problem of course is that there is ZERO nutritional value in those little blue & yellow boxes of processed cheese product garbage. AND it’s LOADED with crappy carbs. And Salt. And Preservatives.
High calorie, low nutrition is just not what I want to feed my family. They need nourishment, not nutritional punishment.
Thankfully, there are some delicious alternatives out there that won’t break the bank or flood your body with salt and unhealthy preservatives.
This Beach Body bad boy subs in low fat ricotta cheese and packs in a whopping 18 grams of protein per serving! (Without sneaking in all the fat and calories of the traditional dish)
Three Cheese Macaroni Casserole
Total Time: 1 hr. 18 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 58 min.
Yield: 10 servings, about 1½ cups each
1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni (or penne pasta)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2½ cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add onion, bell peppers, and broccoli; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
5. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside.
6. Combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
7. Add macaroni, onion mixture, and basil; mix well.
8. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.
9. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic (or glass baking dish) that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Sodium: 237 mg
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugars: 3 g
Protein: 18 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions