There isn’t much I love more than food. Except easy to make, nutritious food. In today’s fast moving world we are ALL crazy busy. Work. School. Kids. Dogs. Cats. Spouses. Combinations of all or some of those contribute to very little down time, and really make it hard sometimes to take the time and thought on well planned meals for yourself and your family. This is why I rely so heavily on my Crockpot.
Between work, my side hustle, working out and taking care of my family I have very little “spare” time. So what time I do have, I like to make the most of. That for me, does not include slaving over a hot stove for hours at a time if I can help it.
Maximize efficiency, increase happiness. That’s my motto anyway.
These simple little rolls of poultry are poetry to my taste buds!
Total Time: 6 hrs. 22 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 6 hrs. 2 min.
Yield: 6 servings, 3 meatballs each
1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup whole grain panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes, crushed
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- Combine turkey, ¼ tsp. salt, pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, and cheese in a large bowl; mix well with clean hands.
- Roll mixture into eighteen 1½-inch meatballs. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of meatballs; cook, turning occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until meatballs are browned on each side. Place browned meatballs in a 3-quart slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining meatballs. Set aside.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook, over medium-high heat, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Top meatballs with cooked onion, tomatoes, oregano, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt; cook, covered, on low temperature for 5 to 6 hours, stirring once or twice.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 89 mg
Sodium: 319 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 19 g
Body Beast Portions